Most global brands are making a real difference in the area of “Sustainability.” Microsoft, Unilever,
Levi’s, P&G, Ford, Dell and Coca-Cola are but a few “planet brands” leading the way by
changing how they work, what they make and how they make it. Yet, few brands are advertising their social purpose to
consumers even though 83 percent of consumers say they want to buy from companies who “share my social values.”
Is it due to fear of greenwash backlash and brand sanitization or are advertisers still challenged in making the link
between “The world and my world” for consumers?
Trish Wheaton is one of the leading ”Sustainability Navigators” at WPP, the world’s largest communications
holding company. In her global marketing role she has a front-row view into some of the world’s premier
global brands and their surprising depth of commitment to sustainability.
Trish Wheaton has simultaneous leadership roles in two of WPP’s largest agencies: Wunderman,
the world’s largest digital agency network and Y&R Advertising, a global advertising giant.
Prior to taking on the role as Wunderman’s first CMO, Trish headed two Wunderman network agencies,
one in Canada and one in the UK. In London, she merged three network agencies to form the largest direct,
digital and database organization in the UK. In Canada, she transformed the Wunderman organization from
a pure play direct marketing organization to a direct, data and digital powerhouse. As managing partner,
Global New Business Community for Y&R Advertising, Trish has created a global new business infrastructure
to serve the 160 offices that comprise Y&R’s global footprint. Her client portfolio has included such
well known global brands as Microsoft, Dell, Kraft, Ford and IBM, among others.
In her global role for both companies Trish began to see the emergence of sustainability as a rapidly
growing requirement for partnering with the world’s major brands and began to take action, focusing first
on building a more operationally sustainable company for the Young & Rubicam Group. Trish has since
identified the untapped marketing opportunity for sustainable brands to grow from a niche interest to a mainstream
sentiment. Trish is currently building a Sustainability Practice on behalf of the Young & Rubicam Group
of companies and is one of WPP’s key Sustainability Navigators.
A well-known marketing industry figure, Trish has served on a variety of marketing industry boards in various
geographies; is a much sought-after speaker who has headlined speaking engagements across the globe; and has
been recognized with industry awards in both Canada and the US. Trish was recently named to the prestigious
Forrester Board of Clients, the first-ever agency person to be on the board, and was also just nominated to the
2013 Marketing Hall of Femme—an elite group of women who are leading marketing today.
Digital and Social Media Breakthrough in Customer Experience
At The Conference Board's Customer Experience Conference
Trish moderated a panel which discussed the importance of corporate social responsibility to brands and the role social media plays in the mix.
Fresh off of her Cannes Lions presentation, Selling Sustainability: Are we there yet?
, Wunderman chief marketing officer Trish Wheaton shares her thoughts on how brands can market sustainability with Maggs on Media
host Jeremy Maggs.
From the Cannes Lions Jury Room
Trish shares with Maggs on Media
what really happens behind the closed jury room doors at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity and highlights a couple of her favorite works from the direct category.
A Conversation with Lester Wunderman
At the 2011 DMA annual conference in Boston, Lester Wunderman joined Wunderman CMO
Trish Wheaton to talk candidly about the past—and future—of advertising.
- Carnegie Mellon, Tepper School of Business, January 2013
- American Swedish Institute, Women in Leadership Conference, Minneapolis, MN, April 2013
- Cannes Forum, “Selling Sustainability”, Cannes, France, June 2013
- DMA Convention, “The Glass Ceiling is Broken”, Chicago, IL, October 2013
- George Washington School of Business, Washington DC, November 4th, 2013
- PR Week Roundtable, New York, NY, November 21st, 2013
- 4A’s/USA Today, Cannes Lions Panel, New York, NY, December 2013
- Carnegie Mellon, Tepper School of Business, January 2014
- Gustavus Adolphus College, Minneapolis, MN, February 2014
- Duke University, Raliegh, NC, Duke Marketing Club, March 2014
- Raleigh Durham Ad Club, NC, March 2014
- Conference Board of NY, March 2014
- Consumer Specialty Products Association, Chicago, IL, May 2014
- Cannes Lions “Beyond Eco-Babble”, Cannes France June 2014
- Alliance for Women in Media NYC, October 2014
- Sustainatopia 2014, Los Angeles, CA, October 2014